6.30.2015

"The Preacher Girl"

Hey there,

  On a regular basis, I find myself stumbling. Not just stumbling spiritually; but physically, emotionally, pretty much any way you can possibly imagine. I'm a stumbler. I'm not well-balanced, and I usually end up with lots of bumps and bruises.
   Besides being a stumbler, I also happen to be extremely sensitive, and I read too much into things sometimes. Guilty. Sorry. 

  All this said, it probably shouldn't come as any surprise to me or anyone else, when I had a strange reaction to being nicknamed "Preacher Girl," by my brothers. Why did they call me that, you ask? Well, let me set the scene for you.

  We were swimming last week, and we were splashing around and messing around as teenage siblings often do. My brothers began to say things that I didn't really agree with, I don't remember the exact conversation. Whatever they said came off as very worldly to me, and I responded with, "Well you know, you can be in the world, but not of the world." I was beaming, I was thrilled that I could pour out words of wisdom to my brothers. 
  After a few minutes, I said it again in response to something they had said, and they proceeded to say, "Whatever you say Preacher Girl!" At first, I was a little uncomfortable. I wanted to protest and say, "I AM NOT! That is totally unfair, I'm no preacher girl, I'm just your sister trying to give you gentle (or not so gentle) guidance here!!" 

  After much deliberation on my part (also known as, obsessive over thinking of my newly acquired nickname, wondering whether or not I should be offended), I realized; we're all supposed to be preachers. 

  Don't get me wrong here, I'm not implying that everyone should go out and go to seminary and become world renown ministers! No, what I'm saying is, that we're the light in this world. Our lives should be a ministry to others, our lives should be a message to others. 
   Matthew 5:14-16 says, 14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." 
   Jesus are the light of the world. You're responsibility is to shine that light. The love that's poured into us is meant to be a light to others. The love that we receive should be pouring out of us. Jesus died so we could live, yes; but that's not the end of it. He also wants us to shine His light, for others to see.

   Your life should be a ministry to others. The love God has for you, should be so evident in your life, that people become curious. People wonder. 

   Am I offended by being called "Preacher Girl?" No, because it means at least something I'm doing is resonating with someone, even if it is my brothers. After all, we should show the light to our families as well, right?

   There's no need to jam the Bible down someone's throat, or smack them over the head with it (even if it may be tempting sometimes). First, show love. First, illuminate their lives with the light of Christ. Everything else can come later.

                                                             source

                                                             Love,
                                                                        Kelsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment