6.14.2015

Choices

Hey there! 

   I hope you like the updates on this blog. The name change was because, after a few years of having "Dreamer" as the title, I thought it was necessary for a change. I hope this change reflects the way I'm living, and if it doesn't, it'll be a reminder to always seek the Lord's heart.

   You may or may not know this, but I teach Sunday school. I have very few kids, but making sure they're learning is really important to me. I may not know fully what I'm doing, but after a year of teaching, I'm starting to get the hang of things.

    Today, I planned a lesson (based on a free lesson online) about choices. The verses that we focused on were:

        "13 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
                                           Matthew 7:13-14

      I had eight-year-old twins today, and they have a tendency to be rambunctious. They're rowdy boys and I have brothers, nothing really surprises me when it comes to them. They were their usual rowdy selves, and at times they didn't listen, but I've come to the conclusion that situations aren't always going to be perfect and tied up in a neat little package like you want them to be. Sometimes, the things we do can be hard.

    Which brings me back to the lesson. 

     We were talking about choices, and how making good choices in life will keep you on the right path to eternal life. As I kept reminding them that making good choices was always the best option, a thought struck me; they're not the only ones who need to hear this. I needed to hear it. I needed to be reminded that no matter how tempting that wide, easy road is; it eventually leads to destruction. 

  Think about it for a minute, in all the years you've read your Bible (this is for those who read their Bibles. If you don't, I highly recommend flipping through to correct me if I'm wrong), has it ever once said, "Wide is the gate, and easy and comfortable is the road that leads to eternal life." I've never read that. 

   Life is always going to be hard. There are always going to be challenges to overcome, comfort zones to step out of; but maybe the path to eternal life is hard so that we need Jesus more. Maybe that was the point. 

   Last year, when I went to Leadership Camp, one really big thing for me was when we were running in the woods. I was breathless (super out of shape at the time), struggling to catch my breath, and performing some weird mix of running/walking/hyperventilating. Everyone was SO nice about it, though. While I was embarrassed, everyone else was making sure I was okay and helping me if need be. 

  I think that's why the narrow, rugged road was made for believers. It's to see if we're willing to take it, no matter how difficult. At the same time, though, when it does get difficult, Jesus is right there to pick us up. He's there to lean on. He's there to encourage us and keep us going, just like when I was back at camp. Had those people not been there, I probably wouldn't have finished all that I did. If I were by myself, I surely would have just stopped, at least slowed down. 

  That's why not only is it important to lean on Jesus in the hard times, but it's so important to encourage others during the hard times, AND  surround yourself with people who will encourage you. Do you think you could finish a race with someone yelling, even whispering, doubts into your ears. No, because encouragement is super important when it comes to our Christian family. 

   Making good choices is always the best option, and if you make the good choice to follow down the rugged road, Jesus will be there to lean on, to tell you that you can make it; to help you finish the race. 

                                                    Love,
                                                Kelsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment