5.17.2015

God Doesn't Care What Color Pens You Use

Hello there!

  The title might seem a little strange, but this is a lesson I really had to learn recently. It's something that I probably should have learned awhile ago, but I'm stubborn. 

  Let's face it; Bible study isn't always easy. *GASP,* you say? How can I say that? Well, I'm a big advocate of honesty, and I truly believe we need to be honest in our Christianity, because it isn't easy. Actually, it rarely ever is. (Check out my last post for more on that) I know it's been said that "being a Christian doesn't have to be hard," but I don't think that's the truth. I think it is hard. I think it takes a huge amount of discipline, self-control, and complete dedication and surrender. I also think it's hard, at times, as a method for us to grow closer to the Lord.

 With all of that said, Bible study can be tough. The discipline of sitting down everyday and studying the Bible isn't always easy. Sometimes, we're busy, or lazy, or we feel guilty sitting down and studying when we have a dirty house, a thousand errands to run, and homework or, if you have a job, work to do.

 Now to be extremely honest, I don't study my Bible like I should. I don't study nearly as much as I need to. I get busy with school, or day to day activities and I put it off. Or I'm downright lazy and get too wrapped up in the hypnosis that is television, and I can't seem to get sucked back into reality. I'm not making excuses, though. I guess a lot of it has to do with a lack of self-discipline. 

  Now, let me paint a picture for you. I'm sitting in my bedroom, feet kicked up on the bed while sitting in my totally cool, pink, fuzzy, saucer chair (thanks, Auntie!), and I finally get my butt in gear to do some Bible study. I'm really getting into it and I'm prepared to sit there for hours and hours and just keep studying. Laundry? You shall wait! That two-page writing assignment for school? Psh, no time for that! This is studying time! Then, comes the dead halt in my study. 
  Before I go on, you have to understand, that I write things down. A lot. Whether in Bible study, or regular studying, or even just writing down to-do lists; I write things down a lot. Therefore, during my Bible study, I take notes (just as I do in church). 
  To continue the story, I was sitting there, in my pink fuzzy chair, all pumped up to do some Bible study, when I came to a dilemma. Are you ready for this? Are you truly prepared? I asked myself, "Oh goodness! What color pen am I going to use?" I kid you not, I spent a solid five minutes in this dilemma, sitting, staring at these pens, unsure of what color to use for my notes. Do I use pink? Or red for the really important things? Do I underline my notes? Don't even get me started on highlighting!

  I sat there, in this predicament, when the thought occurred to me, "Hey you! God doesn't care what color pens you use, He cares what you get out of this study." I kind of wished someone were in the same room to smack me in the head. I wasted all of that time (five minutes may seem short, but minutes are precious, guys) thinking, WORRYING even, about what color pens to use, when I could have been studying more. 

  All of this said, solid, habitual Bible study can only come from strong self discipline. I'm told it's easier the longer you've been doing it, but I haven't quite gotten there yet. I'm still learning, just as many are. I'm so grateful, though, that I've found the Lord at this age, because otherwise, I'd probably be even more busy and even more distracted from Bible study. Buckle down, Kelsey. Get in the Word. It's got so much to offer.


                                                   Love,
                                                    Kelsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment