10.25.2014

What if We Just Looked Up From Our Smart Phones, Hmm?

Hello there, beautiful people!


     I have this problem. And I hate to complain, but I just wondered if my problem annoys as many people as it does me. Are you ready for it?

Are you really ready?

Here it goes...

One of my biggest problems with our technologically advanced society is that I feel like I can't have a decent conversation anymore.

   How many amens can I get right now? Because this isn't just a joke, I feel as though it's a serious problem. 

   For some reason, when God was thinking up my genetic makeup, he decided to throw in a little character quality there that is really annoyed by this issue. I love having deep, heart-to-heart talks. 
   I think deep down, we all like having these conversations. The kind that encourage you, allow you to cry with others, and allow you to connect with people on a level that technology can't reach. Because regardless of how fancy they make a smartphone, or how wonderful video chat becomes, there is nothing like having a face-to-face, heart-to-heart, real conversation with someone.

  Because we're either talking via Facebook or Twitter, or we're texting eachother; or worse we're talking, but the conversation turns into a lot of mhms and yups while we're staring down at the handheld device in front of us. 

  I don't want to be rude, but when I'm having a conversation with you, I want your full attention. I want to know you're hearing and understanding every single word I'm saying. Because when I'm talking, and you're staring down at your phone, I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.

 In a world full of Facebook and Twitter and Instagram (all of which I have, so I'm not bashing these in any way), we need to take a step back and look at the people in front of us. 

  And I'm not just saying that people do this to me, I'm fully guilty of focusing on a laptop, or a tablet, or a smart phone rather than the person I'm talking to. But I don't want to do that anymore. None of us should want to do that anymore. Because it almost cheapens the conversation.

  Imagine it like this, you're praying. To God. The God of all of the earth. The One who created the stars, and the heavens, and dandelion dust. Now imagine you're sharing your deepest most intense, raw feelings with Him. Imagine you're pouring your heart and soul out to Him on a platter, and leaving it all out there. Now imagine he says, "Mhm," as He's staring down at His smart phone. You try to speak again, but he says, "Hold on, lemme just send this text to Gabriel real quick, Lolzzz he's totes hilarious!" 

How would that make you feel?

It's an outrageous example, I know, and our God would never do this, but sharing your feelings is hard, especially to another person. When you're talking to someone, and sharing your deepest feelings and fears with them, don't you want their full attention? Don't you want nods of understanding, and that connection that can only be found in the deepest eye contact met with the deepest feelings?

Now imagine something else.

Imagine you're talking to someone, and they're sharing with you. Imagine they don't know anything about Christ or redemption or the Cross, and you're staring at your smart phone rather than listening to their cry for help. How would that feel? How would it feel to miss the chance to help guide a broken heart to the greatest source of healing that there is? 

I'm not saying these are everyday occurrences, but it's definitely frustrating to try and talk to someone when they're distracted by the internet, or texting, or a phone call even!

So I'm going to try a thirty day challenge. For thirty days, every time someone speaks to me, for any reason at all, I'm going to do my best to avert my attention solely at them, regardless of what I'm doing. Because the human connection is more important than anything the internet has to offer, trust me. 


So I hope you have a fabulous day!
Love,
Kelsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment