9.30.2014

How Two Complete Strangers Really Made Me Think

Hello there, beautiful people!

I think I've mentioned a few times now how much I've changed over the past couple of years and how I've come out of my shell a lot more. Today, I want to talk about that a little bit.

Before, when I was probably 12 or 13, I didn't talk to people. Let me rephrase that, either strangers, or even people I know but not that well. I was very quiet, reserved and I was terrified of saying anything to anyone. I was afraid of checking out my books at the library because I might have to talk to someone! That's changed quite a bit.

Today, I'm still pretty quiet, but I'm not as cautious to not talk to strangers. I love people! I'm just not very loud about it. 

So the first instance where a stranger influenced me? I was at A.C. Moore with my Memere and she was having a bow made at the design center. At first, this lady seemed like she wasn't in a very good mood. Maybe she wasn't? I don't know for sure. But while she was making the bow, something told me to try talking to her. I was reluctant to do so, but before I could hold the words back they kind of poured out of my mouth. Like a faucet. 

 "You must have made a lot of these, huh?"

 She looked up and seemed almost a little shocked that I talked to her. I don't know if it's because she doesn't often have teenagers talking to her or what, but the words were out of my mouth. A little bit of that dread I used to feel when having to talk to strangers came back, but it quickly went away as the conversation carried on between this lady, my Memere and I. We talked and she seemed to be in a better mood, or maybe it was my mood.

 This conversation with this lady made me really think about how we can influence other people's attitude. With so much negativity and stress and bad stuff in the world, sometimes I think some people just need a smile, or a kind word. It works wonders trust me!

The second instance where a stranger influenced me was at Walmart with my Mom. We were standing in line at the pharmacy getting allergy medication when a woman came up behind us on one of those zippy scooters. (She later explained to us that it was her own and not the ones Walmart had). 

She started a conversation with us and we were talking about how she's had issues with MediCare etc. and hasn't had her meds in over a month! Poor lady! She said she's been feeling awful, but now that she can get her meds she'll be up and walking with her cane in no time. This woman wasn't a senior citizen, by the way, just had some sort of handicap in her legs. Upon continuing to talk, she said something that's really been sticking out in my mind. She said, "Just taking a daily walk down the street will be amazing!" 

The reason I think this stuck out in my mind so much is because I feel like we all take these healthy bodies we've been given for granted. I'm serious! Not everyone does, but we don't realize the amazing things our bodies can do and what a true blessing it is just to be able to walk in general.

 So I guess being more willing to talk to people has its advantages. I know I've definitely learned two things in the past week. Appreciate the healthy body God gave me, and always smile at strangers, whether they think you're crazy or not :)

                                                     Love,
                                                   Kelsey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment