1.30.2014

What do I want to be known for?


                 All of us teenagers get asked a lot of the same questions. All the time.
       But there's one that seems to be the most frequent. I'm sure we've all 
       heard it   before.

                 What do you want to do with your life?

                It's a fair question I suppose. I guess we're suppose to know exactly 
      what we wanna do. Like there's a certain amount of time before we've 
     lost our chance. Like there's a time frame.

             But, quite honestly, I'm tired of being asked what I want to do with 
   my life. I have an idea of what I want to do, but that's beside the point.

            What if, instead of asking us what we want to do with our lives, why doesn't 
  anyone ask what we want to be known for? What kind of legacy we want to leave 
  behind? How we want to better the world? Why not ask those things?

           Honestly, I don't care about the American dream. I don't care about having the 
 perfect college experience, and the perfect boyfriend, the perfect job, 
 the perfect wedding, the perfect husband, the perfect kids, the perfect house;
 heck, the perfect dog! That's not what interests me.

           The American dream, or the idea that we've been told is the perfect life,
doesn't interest me whatsoever. The American dream, isn't going to better
this world. The American dream, isn't going to speak up for those who have 
 no voice. The American dream wouldn't satisfy me, or anyone else who might
 live that life.

 It makes me wonder why us teenagers over think what we want to do.
What we want to do won't always happen. God has his plan, and it
will prevail. So why bother thinking about it? 

 What I want to be known for? I want to be known for showing God's love
 in this world. I want to be known for the kind of person I am, not the job I 
have. Not the amount of money in my bank account. I want to be known for 
how I loved, how I cared, how I glorified God. 

  So yes, maybe I think I know what I'm going to do. 
 Maybe I have an idea of what I want to do, but like I said
 before, God's plan will prevail. Who knows what's going to happen.

  But to any other teenagers reading this, let's stop giving awkward, 
choppy answers to what we want to do with our lives, and start saying 
what kind of people we want to be remembered as. Because THAT is what
 is important. Not money, or a fantastic job, or the hottest, richest,
 most fabulous spouse. 

  Who you are is way more important than what job you have. What you do is more important than what you have.

  So next time someone asks you what you want to do with your life, 
just reply with a simple, "I want to be a good person." 

Love,
Kelsey :) 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment