12.28.2013

Christmas

                            (Pepere's birthday cake. Showin' off my decorating skills
                                    12/12/13)
                                         (hello :)
                                  (I maybe went a little overboard with my M&M creations)
                               (This is the result of making my mother stop the car so I 
                           could take a picture)
                                   (Snow, snow, and snow)

        Christmas was great this year. I had a fantastic time visiting with my Mom's family on Christmas Eve (most of whom I haven't seen since moving back). We had great food, a great visit, and tons of fun playing a board game. Christmas day was great too. After opening presents (which, in my opinion, I got way too many of. But, I appreciate the thought), we got all of the last minute foodie jobs done before my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins came over. We had a blast. Christmas was altogether wonderful.

   Yesterday morning, I woke up disappointed though. I'd been reading Ann Voskamp's new Advent book called, The Greatest Gift. I loved it! There were different readings for each day and I just was amazed at how much my perspective on the entire Christmas season changed. I was disappointed yesterday morning because I realized I'd forgotten to read it Christmas Day. After twenty-four days of reading this book, I FORGOT Christmas Day? The reason for the entire book? Needless to say, I wanted to Gibbs' smack myself upside the head (N.C.I.S. fans would get that joke). I was so angry. I was so wrapped up (no pun intended) in the Christmas gifts and helping get everything ready that, I FORGOT! I forgot to read the one day I wanted to read most. I read it yesterday, and it was fantastic, but it didn't feel right. I felt so bad that I forgot. 

  And I realized, don't we all forget? Don't we all forget what the Christmas season is really about? It's about life and new birth, Jesus' birth! It's about a savior being born to save us. An almighty God, coming in the form of a newborn child, to save us. To save me. To save you. Jesus came to save us. Those five words seem so little compared to the weight behind them. It's truly amazing to think about.

  Through this whole Christmas season, I've been saying over and over, not to forget the real reason for Christmas. Playing it over and over in my head. Trying to remember it through the lights, and presents, and cookies, and cooking, and snowmen, and the man in the red suit. Yet, I still forgot. 

  Maybe some of you are thinking, "Hey it's just a book calm down!" But this is way bigger than a book. It isn't about the book at all. It's about the fact that I was so selfish, and eager to open gifts, that I didn't take ten measly little moments to just read it. Read about my savior. Read about the baby who was born, so he could die. So he could save and encourage. And that's what I'm angry about. 

 So this year? My New Year's resolution is that I'm going to start taking time for God. Replacing meaningless moments of my day, with meaningful ones. Because that's what Christmas, and life, are all about. Taking time. Making every short precious moment count. 

 I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and that you have a fantastic New Year's. 

Love,
Kelsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment