11.21.2013

What did we lose? Nothing really.

                 At the beginning of this year, my Dad lost his job. It's been pretty rough since April. We actually moved from Indiana back to Massachusetts (where we're from). I've been having a really hard time dealing with it all. We lost our house and we had to get rid of a lot of our stuff. Including our dog. I've just been really bitter about it all. I haven't been vocal about that bitterness, but it's definitely there. It feels so unfair. But since coming here, I've realized some things. Mainly through random Bible verses I keep finding. 

                                    "Naked I came from my mother's womb, 
                                             naked I will depart.
                                             The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
                                              may the name of the Lord be praised."
                                                          Job 1:21

               The second half of Job 1:21 reminds me to praise the Lord even in times of struggle. "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away." He can take whatever He wants away, whenever He wants to. None of it really matters anyway.

                                  "Shall we not accept good from God and not trouble?"
                                                                   Job 2:10

               Job 2:10. It's reminds me to praise Him in both good and bad, sometimes not knowing which I'm facing.

                                  "We must go through many hardships to enter the
                                            kingdom of God." 
                                                         Acts 14:22
               

             This verse, reminds me, hardships are apart of life. In the end, they'll pale in comparison to Heaven's reward. Hardships can teach us lessons. I think that's why they're so hard. Because they teach us the hard lessons. Otherwise, they'd be called eashyships. Hard times tend to make us stronger, physically, spiritually and emotionally.

                                   "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's 
                                             will for you in Christ Jesus."
                                                       1 Thessalonians 5:18

             This one, is a reminder to be thankful in all circumstances. Whether good, bad, easy, difficult. It doesn't matter. Thankfulness should be constant.

              There's a line in the movie Facing the Giants, that I just love. It kind of goes along with 1 Thessalonians 5:18. It says, "If we win, we praise Him. And if we lose, we praise Him." It's so true. Praise and thanks should be an all-the-time thing. Not just when things are going good.

             So maybe, I lost things in the past seven months. But, my dog? He's in a better home now. The house? Does it really matter? My grandparents were kind enough to let us move in with them again, so do we really need it? 

             I think that, often, our lowest points bring us closer to Jesus. They show us that He's all we need. The rest will be set into place by Him. Losing earthly things, makes us all the more grateful for what we do have. There are people doing way worse than I am. Way worse. I have food. I have a place to live. I have clothes. I have friends. I have family. I have Jesus. I don't think there's really anything else I need. 

           I also think it's better to have little, and still have Jesus, than to have everything without Him. Without Him, we have nothing. With Him, we have everything. He is everything.

           We're all blessed a lot more than we realize. Loss is apart of life. Whether it's material possessions, people, or even money. Money doesn't really matter that much. Sure, we need it for lots of things. But in the end, it'll just be paper. The love and grace of Jesus Christ, is all we need. It's all I need. I don't want expensive, fancy, or amazing things.

                                                I want Jesus.

           

                                   "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,
                                         where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in
                                          and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven,
                                         where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not
                                         break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart 
                                         will be also. "
                                                      Matthew 6:19-21

             Jesus says to store up Heavenly treasures instead of earthly ones. He says wherever our treasures are, our hearts will be. I want my heart with him. I want to be so lost in His love and mercy, that this earth, and whatever happens on it, don't matter.

          We lost stuff this past year. But if I keep the mindset that Jesus is everything, then, I didn't really lose anything at all.


 


Love,
Kelsey.



                


              



No comments:

Post a Comment